Thursday, April 15, 2010

Update and apology


If I have any readers left out there, I'm apologize for not being here for the past few months. But let me tell you, I have a good excuse this time. I have cancer. Yes, it came as the biggest shock of my life back in January. I'm so healthy. I'm so strong. But I'm learning that NOBODY is immune to cancer. Most of my good friends and family are aware of this happening, but if there is anyone out there that might not know, here's a brief recap:

2 years ago, while pregnant with my little one, I had a mole on my leg change. I had it checked out and it turned out to be malignant melanoma. I had it removed and all the margins were clear. So, no other tests needed to be done. Just be diligent about my dermatologist visits, which I was. Fast forward to Christmas 2009. Two days after Christmas, I discovered a small, firm lump in my groin. It appeared out of nowhere and I was immediately concerned. It was removed and it turned out be a cancercous lymph node. This put me in Stage III melanoma, with a roughly 50% chance of survival past 5 yrs. I know, scary. I had a PET scan done right after surgery which revealed no disease anywhere else. Whew. I then had a complete lymph node dissection late January to remove the bed of lymph nodes there in my groin. Those were all negative. Another miracle. But I still had a 40% chance of recurrence. I didn't feel good about doing nothing and just watching and waiting, so I investigated treatment options (which aren't great for advanced melanoma), and decided on doing a clinical trial in S.F. (where my parents live). So, that's where I am at now.

The trial is 27 months long, but the first 3 months of the induction phase require me to have injections every 3 weeks. In between that are scans and other tests to make sure the disease doesn't come back or grow. My kids and I moved out here for that duration (until mid-June), after which point, we will return to Boise. Then I will fly out every 3 months for maintenance injections for the remainder of the study.

So, that is it. I am hopeful. I have faith. I am positive. I have SOOOOO much support around me through my family, friends, church members, and my team of doctors. I feel very optimistic about the future and have already told Cancer that it picked the WRONG DOOR, and that it won't WIN. I am determined to beat this thing, whatever it takes, however long it takes, and know I will come out on top in the end. Most importantly, I have the Lord on my side. I am quite blessed! And I am grateful for so much-especially right now for a healthy, strong, young (well, sort of!) body that has the ability to beat this awful disease.

If you're out there, don't give up hope on me. I'm still here. Screaming and kicking. And I'm healthier and stronger than ever. In fact, I survived the winter without ONE cold. My immune system is doing its job. Please keep checking in as things have settled down (somewhat), I promise to be more diligent about this blog!

Oh, and prayers are always welcome! :)

2 comments:

jill d said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! I still read your blog, but hello I think you have more important things to deal with right now. I love your attitude, your're an inspiration. I wish you and your family the very best! You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if you guys ever do any group fasts or anything like that, we'd like to join. Hugs!

Christina said...

Thanks Jill! So happy you're still out there and comment. I know lots of readers don't, but I always appreciate it! I promise to do better!